Height: 6’3 1/2″
Weight: 255 lbs.
School: Virginia Tech
- Third-team All-ACC (2013)
- 2x Second-team All-ACC (2011, 2012)
- 22 career sacks
- 39 career starts
- 2013 stats: 44 tackles, six sacks and 10.5 TFL
Senior Bowl Notes
- Gayle accepted an invitation to play in the 2014 Senior Bowl in Mobile.
- On Tuesday, Gayle got chewed out by his position coach early in practice, but bounced back knocking Ohio State OT Jack Mewhort on his wallet in 1-on-1 pass rush drill.
- The former Hokie DE star injured his arm and missed the rest of Senior Bowl week, unfortunately.
Gayle played his entire career at Virginia Tech as a 4-3 DE. He’s a relentless, effort player who plays the game the right way. He never quits on a play, is nasty and physical. There are others in this class that are more athletic, yet not as productive.
The former Hokie has such a great opportunity in Mobile to prove that he has that athleticism to stand up and play as a 3-4 OLB. Hokie defensive ends have come into the NFL all having played in the Hokies traditional even front scheme. Not many have made the transition easily, if at all, to the 3-4 OLB spot. Gayle should be given that opportunity in Mobile and he has to make the most of it to show he has the slightest bit of scheme versatility.